Saturday, March 26, 2011

Who Is Your Chief Competitor?

I was recently discussing one of my businesses with a potential client and was taken aback by a simple question, "How do you compare with XXXXX?" My gut reaction was to begin to begin a break down of how I felt I could better serve his business needs, tell him the negative attributes of XXXXX and his employees, and explain why my company was the best thing since sliced bread. I caught myself before I did any of the above.

My response was concise and direct, "I would rather not compare myself or my business to any other. I would prefer to stand on my own merit." The conversation continued on with him telling me all about his product and why he wanted to be compared to his competitors. I did not make the sale, and to be honest, it did not matter. His chief competitor, and number one locally in that industry, is already a client. I decided we were not a fit for each other and we continue to be friends.

I later gave a great deal of thought to this conversation and here is what I have decided. My business (or yours) really has no competition. Sure, there are similar companies offering comparable services. Some of them offer a wider variety of services. Some are less expensive. However, in the end my chief and only competitor is ME. Would you like to know why? Be watching for upcoming blogs that will explain my ideas and opinions. Your's are welcome as well! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment