Friday, August 27, 2010

Who Tells You How To Spend 'Your Money?

The other evening a friend and I decided to go to dinner. I had been working furiously all day and had not had a decent meal so we opted for a local buffet establishment.

As we walked to the counter to pay I could tell that the gentleman in front of me was angry at something and he was taking out on the cashier and the hostess. His language to the teen cashier was completely inappropriate and she stared as a deer in headlights. He was upset because he only wanted s beverage and nothing more. The problem was, this was a buffet restaraunt. Everything they serve is a buffet, there is no menu or a la carte. If he wanted anything he had to pay the full price. Though I could somewhat see his point, he was at an eatery with the word BUFFET in the title.

He kept insisting that "nobody tells me how to spend my @#*^& money. I can turn around and walk my @#$ out the door." In the end, he handed over the money and paid for a full buffet. The entire time I was there he walked around the place insisting that "nobody told him how to spend his money." After several minutes, I commented to my friend that apparently they do or he would not be there drinking at $11.95 glass of tea!

As businessmen and women, we can sometimes feel trapped by vendors or stores or whatever that have such a high premium on the products we need. I guess that I could explain it better like this....Too many times we go to a large wholesale store to buy supplies or other items we need. We really don't need 40,000 paperclips, but to get a good deal, that is what we have to buy. I read recently about three businesses who formed a co-op when they were needing new computers. They went together and shopped and got the best deal because they were buying in bulk. What a novel idea!

I am going to put some time and effort into thinking about this and looking for a way to save money and still not end up with 2000 pencils. I challenge you to do the same and get back with me on how you feel we can be beneficial to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment